In 2015 Huntsville Glass Company will celebrate 75 years in business! Since 1940, we have been servicing our local community through residential and commercial glass repair and replacement and are very proud of the niche we have created in custom interior glass over the past two decades.
We work closely with builders, architects and designers on a variety of projects, keeping them informed of industry standards and new technologies while maintaining a reputation of being the source in the area for any type glass need, no matter how small. We are a walk-in friendly, retail establishment and sell many of the products we use during installation directly to our customers.
We have replacement hardware for many residential and commercial applications, hardware for mounting mirrors, custom stand-off supports and cable shelving systems. We carry many glass cleaning, restoration and protective coating products and we are a certified dealer for Shower Guard Glass.
We offer mirrors, table tops, shelves, backsplashes, counter tops, window & door glass replacements, high performance and patterned glass options, framed shower enclosures and custom heavy glass frameless shower enclosures, just to name a few.
Stop by and check out our newly renovated showroom!
History of Huntsville Glass
Robert V. Turner grew up in Montgomery, Alabama. His dad owned fifty two rental houses and it became Bob’s job to paint either the exterior or interior of one of the houses each week. “Mr. Bob” as he was known later in life said he never went to any ballgame or practice that he didn’t have paint on him somewhere.
He attended The University of Alabama on a four year athletic scholarship. He played end, on both offense and defense, for Wallace Wade and Frank Thomas. He played on the first Alabama team to play in the Rose Bowl. An exciting aspect of the Rose Bowl game for Mr. Turner was that the team traveled cross country by train.
After graduating Mr. Turner went to work for Pittsburgh Plate Glass out of their Birmingham office. In 1940 he wanted to start his own business and decided Huntsville needed a full service glass shop. On January 14, 1940 an announcement stated: “New Business Opened Here” Mr. Turner had a partner, W. G. Miller (his wife’s uncle) who had been an electrician in Athens, AL. Among the first employees were two brothers: Arnold and Ed Sibley who worked for Huntsville Glass their entire careers.
He was just getting his business up and running when Pearl Harbor was bombed. Mr. Turner and both Sibley brothers immediately enlisted, and he decided he had to close the shop. His wife Mary said no and she ran Huntsville Glass while the guys were gone. There was so much work at Redstone Arsenal they could hardly keep up. They loaded all the glass their old truck would hold in the morning and repeated this at lunch. This was before vehicles had tempered and laminated glass and they replaced lots of construction vehicle glass. The business flourished and soon outgrew the original location at 221 Washington Street. They built a new building at 2201 Holmes Avenue, where the business is still located.
Mr. Bob retired in 1975 and turned the day to day operations over to Arnold Sibley. Arnold hired his youngest brother Ira, who had been in the floor covering trade. Arnold ran the business until 1980 and it was turned over to Ira. He ran the business until 1987 and turned it over to Stan Wells, his son-in-law.
The company became affiliated with North Alabama Glass Company of Decatur in the early 1990s.
Huntsville Glass Company is a proud member of the Huntsville Madison County Builders Association, the National Glass Association, the Alabama Home Builders Association and the Huntsville Chamber of Commerce.
If you would like to join our team fill out an application and mail it in to us.